Monday, February 14, 2011

Who IS Esperanza Spalding?

Justin Bieber fans went crazy when they heard Esperanza Spalding's name as the winner of the 2011 Grammy Award for Best New Artist.

Following the recent release of Bieber's new film, Never Say Never, fans were in strong support of the young pop star. Bieber fans attacked Ms. Spalding's Wikipedia page with hateful words that suggested the rising jazz artist was not deserving of the award. They edited her page and changed her middle name to "Justin" at one point and soon after to "Quesadilla".

It seems as though the 26-year-old artist is not well known, she does have a few accomplishments under her belt. Spalding performed at the 2010 BET awards alongside big names like Patti LaBelle and Alicia Keys. The young star also appeared at the 2009 Noble Peace Prize Ceremony and Concert.

The Belieber fansite reports 16-year-old Bieber took a mature stance on the situation and tweeted his feelings:

"So I’m always honest with u guys and I’m finally leaving the #grammys so I can tweet. 2nite was a great night. I got to perform at the grammys with my mentor @usherraymondiv and I feel like we did u guys proud. As for the awards…of course I wanted to win. Its been & still is a dream to win a grammy. Was I upset…yes. But I was happy for her also. Someone said to me tonight its not your successes that define u but your failures. I lost..but I don’t plan on this being my last chance….I do this because I love it..and I do it for my family friends and fans who support me. I was grateful for the honor and this…Is just the beginning. #NeverSayNever"

Still, we must pay attention to the fact that people just don't seem to know who this lady is! 

I took to the streets of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ to see if ANYONE knew who this Macy Gray lookalike was. 

The answers weren't in her favor...







Popular radio stations have become more familiar with country music this year. Perhaps following this year's Grammy's we'll finally hear less Lady Antebellum and a little more Esperanza. 

If she's lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment